CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Go back to:

Tuesday 25 November 2008

Chapter 2 - Graduation

All five of us sat next to each other in the front row. We were arranged according to our numerical names. Behind us were our trainers, with medals, ribbon bars and bands pinned up decoratively on their uniforms. From my seat I could hear the nervous breath of 2909 who was two seats away from me. He pants faster when the announcer welcomes the academy principal up on stage to give his speech.

“Nervous Mr. Alumna?” 2954 teased.
“No, not really,” 2909 replied, his voice was shaking.
“Yeah, right. As if we didn’t notice your nervous tone. Don’t worry, everything’s going to be just fine.” 2402 gave him a little punch in the shoulder.

I could hear a faint giggle led out by 1712. I was smiling too. It was funny to see 2909 so nervous. Most of the time, he was always the bravest of us all. The principal began his speech with a moment of silence for those students who fought bravely and falls during the space battle assessments.

“Congratulations, out of the numerous protectors in training, you’ve made it this far. Well done Agents!!”

That’s the last sentence of the principal’s speech. Everyone clapped their hands. The word ‘agents’ echoed in my mind as the principal prepares to present our official certificate. Our name was called up in ascending order. I was the first to be called up the stage.

“Agent 1212,” the announcer said.

Agent 1212… I cannot believe I’ve made it this far. All those crucial 5 years of heavy training and exhausting assessments are finally over. No more fighting over survival, not even dangerously involved in a black hole mission. Its finally over, I’m an agent now. Just a few feet away, I’ll be free from this academy and yet my foot felt numb. It felt heavy as I climbed up the short stairs that leads up the stage.

“Agent 1712,” the announcer called.

I need to move on quick, I thought. I race to the principal, tripping over wires on the floor. At last, I reach the principal immediately after the announcer called on agent 2402. After seeing how clumsy I am, the principal could do nothing but smile at me. I proceed down the stage and back to my seat looking rather red. Agent 2909 and Agent 2954 were called next before we move to the small reception room to have lunch with the principal.

“It’s good to see all five of you in this reception room. Last year, there were only 2 agents who manage to survive until their graduation day. One of them later died in a tragic galactic war 5 days later.” The principal started a conversation.

“What happen to the other?” asks Agent 2402.
“Still alive of course, in fact, he’s one of your trainers. Mr. Scott Carr.”
“You mean Gloomy Scar? The trainer with a large scar on his face?” asks Agent 2954 in disbelief.
“Yup. May I remind you that the scar is not the only thing he gets after the galactic war. See, the late agent is Mr. Scott’s close friend. Mr.Scott did all the best he can to save his friend but sadly the late agent died before even reaching the Earth. ”
“That explains his unusual behavior” Agent 1712 suddenly spoke up.
“Yeah, he is under our supervision. The SPA leader strips him off his position as an agent, afraid that he would come out of his wits.”

Hearing the tragic story of Mr. Scott, I swallowed my fruit punch hard. I can’t picture myself at Mr. Scott position in the next few days. I downed my punch too fast that it choked me up. Seeing me coughing and choking, the pricipal smiled and aproaches me.

“Don’t worry, you’ll be okay. Just don’t be too clumsy next time, especially during war.”
“Hopefully I won’t,” I smiled, hoping that he could not sense my fear.
“Anyway, Good luck for more battles that are yet to come!!” the principal sounded cheerful.
“Thank you, I really need it,”

More battles? I never knew that my freedom ended there. I never had imagined what lies in my future and had not yet known what challenges I will face.
-To Be Continued-

0 comments: